One of the biggest pieces of advice I have for everyone in the business world is to perfect your elevator speech. If you do not know what I am referring to, then let me give you a quick breakdown. Your elevator speech is a 20-second description of what business services you offer, what industry you are in, what company you may work for, what clients you may represent, it could be anything, but it better sound legit. If it doesn't sound legit, just download my favorite app, word of the day, and add in some snazzy words to amplify your vocabulary skills in your 20-second business preview. I summarized the top 5 things you should do to be prepped for your elevator speech introduction to a potentional future business venture or just great tips to engage with colleagues you may already know.
1. Read up on current events. Download the news app Flipboard. It is my absolute favorite to keep up on current events.
2. Do not talk about the weather. Nobody gives two shits about the weather and they also are aware that you either are an extremely uninteresting person or you do not care to engage in real conversations with them. Which, some may find offensive.
3. Google alerts. Sign up for any keywords pertaining to your industry.
4. Brush up on your vocabulary skills.
5. Always. Dress. The. Part.
Good luck friends! Hope you enjoy my dressy-casual look I put together with some statement black matte Valentino pumps.
Photographer: AJ Canaria @ajcan